Monday, August 4, 2008

Getting kids to think for themselves...

I think two of the most important skills parents can help develop within their children is to create independent thinkers and effective problem solvers. This is especially important in preparing children for college and the "real" world. With homeschooling, I love it when my girls are able to complete a task on their own or are able to move from one subject to the next with little help. Of course, I am here to "spur" on their thinking, to challenge them further, and be of assistance when needed, but one of the main goals of homeschooling is, again, to create independent thinkers and effective problem solvers. And hopefully these skills are displayed in their everyday lives, as well. Even simple things like finding something to do if they are bored, or seeing how many different uses there are with a particular object...

A few weeks ago, our dryer broke (and yes, I got a new one out of the deal!) so we had to dry some of our clothes outside until we got a new one. (We were so Little House in the Prairie - or would that be considered white trash?) Anyway, while our sheets were drying, the girls decided to turn them into little hideouts. They brought out yoga mats to sit on (btw, thank you for that girls), dolls to play with and popsickles to help them stay cool. Of course, I was thrilled that they chose to do something outside instead of watching t.v. or playing on the computer!




Here's a pic of "M" making a house out of a box for her baby doll...


And here's a pic of "A" reading with her fake glasses (oh - but she can see so much better with them, or so she says!)


To be honest, I rarely hear that my girls are "bored" because they have that natural curiosity to create new things and to use their imagination. Hopefully, this will carry on with them throughout life!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

That's great! Courtney is the same way. Extremely imaginative. We have 'homemade' toys all over this place. Right now she is in the middle of making a sock monkey! I will post pictures when she is through. I can't say it is because I homeschool her though! LOL She was just born that way. :)

Angela said...

I think your kids are imaginative in part due to their super creative, fun mom. Amazing!