Friday, October 14, 2011

We Were Made To Be Courageous

The moms in our homeschool co-op had a MNO last night & we saw "Courageous" at the movies. All I can say is WOW! EVERY parent should see it. It'll make you laugh. It'll make you cry. It will make you want to be a better parent and spouse. And if you feel like you've already messed things up as a parent, if your child is still alive today, there's still time to make things right. The choice is ours to live a life of regret or a life of joy and thankfulness.

Here's the trailer for the movie...


This is a great video of the importance of fathers...


The video of "Courageous" by Casting Crowns...


You can see more great videos on the "Courageous" YouTube station here.

This is the Resolution that was mentioned in the movie - very powerful words...



THE RESOLUTION

 I do solemnly resolve before God to take full responsibility for myself, my wife, and my children.

 I WILL love them, protect them, serve them, and teach them the Word of God as the spiritual leader of my home.

 I WILL be faithful to my wife, to love and honor her, and be willing to lay down my life for her as Jesus Christ did for me.

I WILL bless my children and teach them to love God with all of their hearts, all of their minds, and all of their strength.

 I WILL train them to honor authority and live responsibly.

 I WILL confront evil, pursue justice, and love mercy.

 I WILL pray for others and treat them with kindness, respect, and compassion.

 I WILL work diligently to provide for the needs of my family.

 I WILL forgive those who have wronged me and reconcile with those I have wronged.

 I WILL learn from my mistakes, repent of my sins, and walk with integrity as a man answerable to God.

 I WILL seek to honor God, be faithful to His church, obey His Word, and do His will.

 I WILL courageously work with the strength God provides to fulfill this resolution for the rest of my life and for His glory.

 As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. – Joshua 24:15

(You can actually purchase a print of the certificate as well as other resources from the movie here.)

I already knew my husband, Steve, was an awesome Daddy, but this movie reminded me how thankful I should be (and am) that he is involved in our daughters' lives. He takes them on dates, tells them daily and often he loves them, he hugs on them and gives them helpful advice. He tells them he's proud of them and spends time every night after work going over their studies, talking about their day, and playing with them. Every Saturday morning he takes them to Panera for breakfast. He has an active, vested interest in their lives and they will never doubt that their Daddy loves them. He is the spiritual leader of our house and the girls will always know that God loves them and cares for them even more than their earthly daddy does.

I thank God for men of courage who are willing to step up to the plate and take on the responsibility of being a dad and to lead their family in the ways of the Lord.


Bible Verses on Being a Good Father 

Deuteronomy 6:6-9 - "These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates."(NIV) 

Malachi 4:6 - "He will turn the hearts of the parents to their children, and the hearts of the children to their parents; or else I will come and strike the land with total destruction."(NIV) 

Psalms 127:3-5 - "Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court." (NIV) 

Proverbs 3:32 - "For the LORD detests the perverse but takes the upright into his confidence." (NIV) 

Proverbs 10:9 - "Whoever walks in integrity walks securely, but whoever takes crooked paths will be found out." (NIV) 

Proverbs 17:27 - "The one who has knowledge uses words with restraint, and whoever has understanding is even-tempered." (NIV) 

Proverbs 22:6 - "Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it." (NIV) 

Proverbs 23:24 - "The father of a righteous child has great joy; a man who fathers a wise son rejoices in him." (NIV) 

Ephesians 6:4 - "Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord." (NIV) 

Joshua 24:15 - "But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." (NIV) 

Colossians 3:21 - "Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged." (NIV)

No comments: