Monday, December 8, 2008

Our Favorite Things at Christmas Time...

In no particular order...

Reading "The ADVENTure of Christmas" by Lisa Whelchel (formerly of Facts of Life)

This is a great book that talks about all of the customary traditions that we celebrate during the Christmas season. It talks about their origins and includes lots of crafts and recipes, as well.


Watching Christmas favorites on TV such as Polar Express, Christmas Carol, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town and Miracle on 34th Street
Playing with our Playmobil Nativity Set

My friend, Cari, introduced me to this book last year. It's Gingerbread Land, by Katie Grim. It is so fabulous and has great illustrations. A must-read for your kids at Christmas time and you can even make your own gingerbread houses after you read the book!



Eating breakfast food, hot chocolate and blackberry cobbler at Cracker Barrel, sitting by the fire

Watching Christmas Parades and sometimes participating in them


Cinnamon-scented brooms, sold at Cracker Barrel for $6

Spending time with family


The Christmas Train at Dry Gulch

Listening to Christmas music. My current favorite is the Casting Crowns Christmas CD, Peace on Earth but I also LOVE Third Day's, Christmas Offerings, MercyMe's, Christmas Sessions, and of course, all of the WOW Christmas CD's.


Watching The Nutcracker

Watching the girls play in the snow (from a distance inside my warm house, of course!)

Drinking hot chocolate

Decorating Christmas Trees


Looking at Christmas lights


Attending the Festival of Trees at the Philbrook Museum in Tulsa


Singing Christmas carols


Looking at the Nutcracker vignettes and visiting with Santa at Utica Square

Watching Family Time with Santa DVD beginning Dec. 13th!


My FAVORITE kind of gifts are homemade. The Christmas stocking up above is one my mom made me when I was a child. She also made "M" one and I'm hoping she'll make "A" one someday soon! (Hint, hint mom!)

Every year in December, Steve's parents invite the grandkids stay the night and help decorate their Christmas tree. They also make homemade gifts that I absolutely love! In the picture above are some pillows the girls put together and some snowmen doorstoppers they painted on a brick. So cute!

And, in the words of Natalie Grant, "Christmas is mistle toe, presents under the tree and Jesus who came on earth to save me."

1 comment:

Nicolle said...

I love hot chocolate also.

I need to start a collection of Christmas books for Boyd.

Looks like you have a lot of neat traditions that your girls will treasure!