Sunday, May 4, 2008

Not so deep thoughts...

With my 20th high school reunion coming up this summer, I've been reflecting a lot recently about where I currently am in life. I think back to my high school days and I'm definitely not where I expected to be - but I think that's probably a good thing. Back then, I saw myself as a fashion buyer and living in a loft in New York. I thought of the endless options for shopping, exciting new places to eat and all of the dance clubs I would frequent. Now look at me - I'm a homeschool mom living in a fairly small town in Oklahoma. Not really what I thought I'd be doing, but I have to say I really love it. I love homeschooling, having play dates with our friends and spending time with my family.

I look at where other people are in life, especially public figures, and I wonder if they are really happy. They might have the fame, but do they have true joy? It's ironic that I've been thinking about this lately because our pastor actually spoke on this topic in today's sermon from John 4:1-42. It's the story of the Samaritan woman who had 5 previous husbands and was currently living with a man. He pointed out how she kept looking to men for happiness, but true happiness can only be found in Jesus. He went on to say how we are a "restless" society, always looking for the next thing to make us happy - expensive cars, bigger homes, the latest fashions, alcohol, drugs, relationships, etc. - but that happiness is only temporary.

While my life is far from perfect, I know that God has a hand on my life and will work it out for His good. One of my favorite Bible verses is Jeremiah 29:11 - "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Knowing that, I don't have to be concerned about what tomorrow brings. Having Jesus in my life doesn't mean that I am now worry free and that hurt and disappointment won't come my way - it just means I don't have to face it alone. He is always there for me and walks beside me in times of trouble. He makes the pain barable and always brings good out of a bad situation. I feel truly blessed to be where I am today and I thank God for being there for me every step of the way.

No comments: