Sunday, February 24, 2008

What do you think, Mom?!








A few years ago, we decided to change our girly girlz playroom into a "dance room" since dancing is one of their very favorite things to do. Although it was a lot of work, Steve & I had so much fun working on this project. It was like a mini-version of "While You Were Out" or "Extreme Home Makeover". We sent the girls to Steve's parents for the weekend & got busy right away. The room was already painted the way I wanted it, I just added the wording and pictures around the top border. Then Steve built a stage & I painted it. He also added a ballet bar, curtains in front of the stage & rope lighting. Last, we added a rubber flooring and decorated with accessories. When the girls got home, they totally flipped out! The girls have great fun putting on family performances and shows with their friends when they come over for playdates. These are pictures of what it looks like when it's nice and clean - thus, here's my dilemma...

Yesterday, the girls told me to please not come into the dance room because they were redecorating it. Immediately, my heart started pounding and I thought, "Oh no! What are they doing to the room?!" They were having so much fun and worked on it for hours so I just let them - but not without hesitation. When they were finally ready to show me their "fine" work, I had to bite my tongue not to say anything. They said they had created their own "quiet time places". Furniture was moved and I could hardly see the floor, but they were so proud of their accomplishment. They said, "What do you think, Mom?!" I commended them on their hard work and had to leave soon after or else I would have started fixing things back to how I like them. I tried to remind myself that this is their space and that they should be allowed to decorate it however they like - to a point. If they are into "decorating" their space at ages 5 & 8, what's it going to be like when they are teenagers?! I better start praying now for the Lord to give me patience ;-)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

haha - they do look so proud. How long will you let them leave it like that? ;)

E's Mom said...

What a cute room! You are so creative!!!