Thursday, January 20, 2011

When It Snows, We Play!

Tulsa actually got some snow today that stuck on the ground and was worth playing in! The girlz were so excited. The public schools were closed but of course, we did school anyway. I know - I'm a mean mommy. But after school we had some fun outside.


We met some friends at a park for sledding...


And we made some yummy snow ice cream. I posted this recipe last year on my blog and had stolen it from my friend, Brandi. 5 easy ingredients (easy - as long as you have snow!) and it really tasted yummy!






Then I made some potato soup for dinner. Here's the recipe from Allrecipes.com. My family loved it which surprised me because it was kind of healthy ;-)  I added chunks of ham to mine to satisfy my hubby, the meat lover.

Herbed Potato Soup



Ingredients:
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups water
1 large onion, chopped
1-2 stalks of celery
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed (I used oregano instead of rosemary)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups milk

Directions:
Place potatoes and water in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until tender. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, thyme, rosemary (or oregano), and pepper. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add potatoes with cooking liquid. Heat through.

1 comment:

Mom To The 3rd Power said...

How fun! I never thought of coloring the snow ice cream!!