Thursday, December 15, 2011

Creative Ways To Display Christmas Cards

I recently made a new Christmas card display holder and thought I'd share how I made it. It's super easy!

Materials:

Canvas
Scrapbook paper
Scissors
Acrylic Paint
Foam Paint Brush
Ribbon
Stapler

Instructions:

1. I chose a long, rectangular canvas that I thought would fit well in the space where I wanted to hang it. Then I base-coated it in black acrylic paint...


2. I found this great Christmas Subway Art Print on Tatertots and Jello. In fact, they have a ton of fun and cute printables on their posting. I printed it off on cardstock in a size that fit well on my canvas. I then glued it to bright yellow scrapbook paper, creating a small border and bringing out the yellow in the star on the print. Then I Mod Podged it to the center of the canvas...


3. I did a google search for "Christmas tree outlines" and found this one that was simple and easy to cut out. This time I printed it twice on the back of scrapbook paper, cut out both trees, then "aged" them by dry-brushing black paint to the outside edge. I thought they didn't quite stand out enough on the black canvas, so I glued them to the yellow scrapbook paper then cut around the edge, leaving a slight border. Then I Mod Podged both trees on either side of the Christmas Tree Subway Art Print on the canvas.




4. Next, I wanted to dress up clothespins that would hold the Christmas cards so I simply traced around them on scrapbook paper, cut them out, then Mod Podged the paper to the clothespins...





5. The last step was to attach the ribbon. I love this wide, shimmering ribbon I found for half off at Hobby Lobby. I cut three long strips about five feet each and stapled them to the backside bottom of the canvas, making sure they were equally spaced. Then I took a shorter strip of ribbon, about 1 foot long, and stapled it to the top back side of the canvas. This created a place to hang the ribbon on a nail, Command hook, or wreath holder...




And here's the final product...




I not only use it to display cards but also my favorite Christmas photos of my girls from years past. It makes me smile ;-)

Here are some links with other creative ways to display Christmas cards...






Displaying Holiday Cards (HowStuffWorks.com)


1 comment:

Unknown said...

So cute! This is such a great project! I love it.